Many Frequently Asked Questions Answered
The main difference is interconnect smoke detectors will all sound when one of them is triggered. This is especially important in multi storey homes such as landed, penthouses, maisonettes or single storey homes such as a bungalow. The intent here is to alert the occupants of potential fire threats who may not be near that fire threat.
An example would be when every one is sound asleep in the 2nd storey when a potential fire threat occurs in ground storey kitchen. If a standalone has been installed, while the standalone in the kitchen may be triggered, the chance of that waking her occupants up on 2nd storey, in air-conditioned room ain't high. When the toxic smoke builds up to 2nd storey and trigger off the detectors there, it may be too late for the occupants to escape as the 1st storey is already filled with toxic smoke. If interconnect have been installed, when the detector in kitchen is triggered, all interconnect detectors will sound alarm. This has a much better chance of waking her occupants and in event of a real fire threat, provides precious minutes for them to escape.
Both our standalone and interconnect smoke detectors are photoelectric. Photoelectric responds faster to smouldering fires, which are typical of fires occurring in homes. Think of overcharged electrical devices, overloaded power points where smoke will start to form around the fire threat, followed by denser white smoke, and eventually with very dense black smoke (as plastic melt) before a flame occurs.
This is in contrast to fast flaming fires such as from an explosion, where an ionization smoke detector will be more effective.
We do not carry combi (photoelectric + ionization) smoke detectors as we believe the disadvantages of each cancel out the advantage of the other. This may result in less effective detection of all types of fire and potentially cause more false alarms.
- 10 years product warranty excluding battery
- We warrant our smoke detector to be free of all defects in material and workmanship for a period of 10 years from date of purchase as indicated in the order receipt.
- - We will repair / replace faulty smoke detector as we deem fit, free-of-charge.
- Does not cover damage from misuse, abuse, alterations or improper installations.
- 3 years battery warranty
- 1-1 exchange if low battery warning light appears within 1st 3 years of usage.
- You can upgrade to 10 years battery warranty with a review on our Facebook page. Please refer to 10 years battery warranty FAQ below.
As a minimum, we recommend:
- Up to 5 room HDB & Condominiums not exceeding 1500 square feet
- ONE in living room
- ONE in corridor leading to rooms, if any
- Multi storey homes such as Landed, Penthouse, Maisonettes (interconnect recommended)
- ONE in main living room
- ONE in main dining room
- ONE in each staircase landing
- ONE in each common area per storey above ground storey
- ONE in corridor leading to rooms, if any
- Single storey homes exceeding 1500 square feet (interconnect recommended)
- ONE per 750 square feet of common area
We recommend the following for a robust smoke detection coverage:
- ONE in each room
- ONE in corridor leading to rooms, if any
- ONE in living room
- ONE in dining room
- ONE in each staircase landing for multi storey homes
- ONE in common area for each storey above the ground storey
Yes, your order will be delivered to your indicated delivery address during submission of order.
It will be 2 working days. Eg: if you place order on Monday, you can expect to receive your order by Wednesday.
Our delivery provider will make 3 daily attempts to deliver to you before returning the order to us. In the unfortunate event that all 3 attempts of delivery fail, SGD10 will be payable for subsequent delivery attempts.
We do not provide installation services, but we can advise you on optimum locations to install the smoke detectors if you can share your floorplan / pictures with us via whatsapp @ 8815 8752 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Installation is also very easy with our 3M double sided PE foam tape. No drilling is required.
This is a very big topic by itself. We will try to summarize it here. Smoke detectors should be installed along the path of escape out of homes. Why? Because the intent of smoke detectors is to give you early warning on potential fire threats, so that you have ample time to escape if the fire can't be put out by yourself. It will be useless if by the time the smoke detectors sound out alarm, your escape path out of your home is no longer viable.
Presence of fire is an obvious reason. However, very often the escape path may be made non-viable because of smoke.
- You may be surprised that many fire casualties are from smoke (inhalation), rather than the fire itself.
- You will also not expect by the time dense smoke has built up, the temperate of the smoke can be upwards of 80 degrees celsius. Most cannot endure such heat.
- Smoke from household items burning are extremely toxic. Breathing in too much can make one unconscious. Putting aside the toxicity of the smoke, breathing in too much smoke deprives your brain of oxygen, which will result in yourself rendered unconscious. Once one is unconscious, how does one escape?
- Smoke makes one loses directional sense. There have been many incidents when fire casualties were found within metres of their main door after the fire was put out. Most of such casualties were unable to find their main door to escape in the midst of the dense smoke. It is also this reason that as part of the fire escape practicing, it is recommended that one blindfolds oneself to try to navigate from room to main door.
Hope that you now have a better understanding of why smoke detectors should be installed along your escape path out of your home. In addition, most of us are living in flats & apartments, which often only has 1 escape option - through the main door. If this escape option is rendered non-viable, the situation is going to get worse quickly. On average, it takes only 3 minutes for a fire to occupy the entire house once fire starts to burn.
There is also the concept of dead air space that we need to avoid. Essentially, this is the air space that's ~10cm from any corner. It's called dead because smoke will never reach these areas due to physics of air. Installing a smoke detector there guarantees your detector will never ring. You can read more about dead air space in this link.
There are also certain locations with our homes that we need to avoid as they are either too dusty, too steamy or too breezy, such as kitchens, bathrooms. You can read more about these places in this link.
One question in your mind now is likely to be "Yea, I understand. But this still doesn't really tell me where to install".
Yes, we are aware of that. The reason why we explain all the above is to let you understand the important fact (if you cannot understand most of the above) that smoke detectors should be installed in correct locations so that they can do what they do best.
So the best way to help answer this question is if you can share your floorplan / pictures with us via whatsapp @ 8815 8752 or email to email@example.com, so that we can advise you on optimum locations.
We do not recommend installation of smoke detectors in the kitchen due to:
- smoke from cooking, which can cause false alarms, especially if installed within 1 metre of the kitchen stove.
- oil & grease can easily build up around the smoke detector, which would then require more frequent cleaning.
Instead we would recommend to install just outside the kitchen if need be as it will still be a good location to detect smoke coming from kitchen without the false alarms and regular cleaning.
No, our smoke detectors are purely smoke detectors. As gas isn't made up of smoke particles, a gas leak will not trigger our smoke detectors. If you need to detect gas leak, you will need to invest in a separate gas detector.
Unless you are smoking directly at the smoke detector or heavily under the smoke detector, our smoke detector is unlikely to be falsely triggered.
We recommend to install our smoke detector at least 1 metre away from joss / incense sticks burning to avoid false alarms. This also avoid the need for more regular cleaning of the smoke detector.
We do not recommend installation in the bathroom due to its high humidity, which will damage the internal circuitry, causing it to fail. Furthermore, steam from a hot shower will often trigger the alarm.
If the bathroom is ensuite, we recommend installation more than 1 metre away from the entrance of the bathroom.
We do not recommend installing our smoke detectors within 1 metre to the aircon/fan. We also do not recommend installing in the direction of the wind / draft as smoke may be blown away by the draft, causing our detectors not able to detect smoke.
We generally do not recommend installing in open spaces as the chance of false alarm is significantly higher with environment dust / fine particles blown into the smoke detection chamber.
If the concern is about washing machine / dryer catching fire, you will have to find a location that is "less exposed" to avoid false alarms. Please send us pictures of the yard via whatsapp @ 8815 8752 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org for us to better advise you.
Our smoke detectors are anti-dust by design. What this means is the smoke detection chamber is engineered to minimize any other particles other than smoke from entering the chamber. That said, a smoke particle, while very small at <1mm in diameter, isn't the smallest particle, so any other particles smaller than a smoke particle may still enter the chamber, triggering a false alarm. Example of such smaller particles include face powder, talcum dust, corn starch to name a few.
Long story short, we cannot 100% guarantee that our smoke detectors will not have false alarms. But we have put in much research and engineering efforts to mitigate false alarms while not affecting its ability to detect smoke.
First of all, you have to assume it's a true alarm and you should investigate immediate surrounding area for any potential fire threats. In the event of a real fire threat, if you can put out the threat (eg fire blanket or fire extinguisher), do go ahead, else you should quickly execute your fire escape plan and get your family to safety.
If you had done your checks and confirmed that it's a false alarm, you can silence our detectors by pressing the silence / hush (which is the test) button.
Our smoke detectors come with easy to reach and big silence / hush button, so you do not need to get a stool / ladder. You can simply use an extended pole to reach for the silence / hush button.
Upon pressing, the alarm will be deactivated for 9-10 minutes. Should it detect smoke again after 9-10 minutes, it will start ringing again.
Our smoke detectors are powered by lithium battery which has sufficient power for 10 years.
If you have qualified for the 10 years battery warranty, you are eligible for exchange if the low battery warning light appears in the 1st 10 years.
Please refer to 10 years battery warranty FAQ below for more details.
Ideally you would want to have 1 fire blanket in each room, living room and kitchen as you can't predict where the fire may start. But if you only have 1 piece, we would recommend your bedroom as
- if the fire starts in kitchen, you can still run to your bedroom to get the fire blanket to try to put out the kitchen fire, assuming fire is still small (eg fire in a pot).
- if the fire occurs at night when every one is sleeping, it's going to be very hard for you to make your way to any part of the home to get the fire blanket. Plus if the fire occurs outside your bedroom, there could be so much dense smoke built up that it may be near impossible to go to anywhere.
- following up on above point, it will be easier for you to get blanket from your bedroom to wrap around you/kids if any to try to escape out of home.
All smoke detectors will require regularly cleaning. The main difference lies in how easy and how frequent.
Our smoke detectors are anti-dust by design, so they require less efforts to clean. You simply need to vacuum or a cloth to wipe to exterior. Because our smoke detectors do not require battery replacement, there is no need (and you should not attempt) to open up the detector to clean the inside.
Once a month cleaning is more than sufficient for our smoke detectors.
DO NOT EVER DO THAT! When you burn something to produce smoke to test, carbon particles (natural byproduct of burning) will also enter the smoke detection chamber and stay there permanently, either affecting its ability to detect smoke or having more false alarms moving forward.
This is also the reason if the detector has been triggered by a real fire threat, you are required to replace and not reuse, regardless how visually un-damaged it may look. Refer to FAQ "Do I need to replace the detector?".
If you really must test with "smoke", you will need to use an industrial smoke tester. Reach out to us via whatsapp @ 8815 8752 or email to email@example.com if you want to know more about this smoke tester.
There are 2 main purposes of testing:
- To be familiar with how the alarm of your smoke detector sounds like. It's the same reason why the Public Warning System in Singapore is activated at least twice a year. You may even want to practice your fire escape plan with family during this time.
- To ensure the detector is still powered up. While our smoke detectors will have low battery warning light and audio beep, one may not see the warning light if it's installed in a more remote location. Eventually the audio beep will also stop as battery runs out of power. At this point, the detector is non-operational.
We recommend testing once a week. It takes you less than a minute to test it. With an easy to reach and big test button in our smoke detectors, you do not need to get a stool / ladder to reach our detectors to test. You can simply use an extended pole to reach for the test button.
For clarity, the above testing (via a test button) is to verify that the circuitry is functional. It DOES NOT test if the smoke detection chamber is functional. To test the smoke detection chamber, you will need to use an industrial smoke tester. Reach out to us via whatsapp @ 8815 8752 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to know more about this smoke tester.
NEVER NEVER test the smoke detector with real smoke.
The circuitry and mechanism within our smoke detectors are designed to last for 10 years. Even the detector appears to be in working condition after 10 years, we highly recommend that you replace a new one. If you have purchased our smoke detector, we will email you when your 10th year is reaching to remind you. You do not have to remember it yourself.
The other case will be the detector has been triggered by a real fire threat. The reason is carbon particles within the smoke would have accumulated within the smoke detection chamber. Even if the detector isn't destroyed or visually damaged in any shape or form, it may no longer be able to effectively detect smoke. This puts your entire family into danger!
Because we are so confident of our smoke detectors, and we know nothing beats yourself actually using it, all our smoke detectors come with a 100 day money back guarantee.
In the event if you feel our smoke detectors are not working as we claim here, you can request for a refund. We will refund you the amount you had paid, less of SGD10 to cover logistics and processing costs incurred. In exchange, you will have to return our smoke detectors as well as any gifts that had come along with your initial purchase.
Full terms and conditions of this 100 days money back guarantee can be read in this link.
All our smoke detectors come with standard 3 years battery warranty. To further extend the battery warranty by 7 years to 10 years as advertised, you will need to give us a genuine review / recommendation at our Facebook page.
A good review motivates us. A not-so-good review pushes us to be better in that particular area. So give your genuine review.
As long as a review / recommendation is given, you will qualify for the 10 years battery warranty program.
For a guide on how to give review / recommendation, please visit this link.
The 10 years battery warranty entitles you to complimentary on-site battery replacement should the low battery warning light appears within the 10 years of its intended usage. Full terms and conditions of this 10 years battery warranty can be read in this link.